Happy Friday Austin! Here’s everything you need to know about what’s going on in Austin today.
First of all, the weather forecast for the day:
Partly sunny and warmer. High: 80 Low: 65.
Here are the best stories in Austin today:
- If you’re unsure of where to take family and out-of-town guests this holiday weekend, there are several events in Austin that are sure to be enjoyed by everyone! For a list with details on fun events in and around the Austin area this weekend, visit: (Austin Patch)
- “Hey Austin!” If you are hoping to have a grand and festive holiday, your Christmas wish will come true for sure, as Austin has been rated one of the best places to celebrate Christmas this year! “A new ranking from personal finance website WalletHub ranks Austin at # 20 among the best places to celebrate Christmas in the US and # 1 in Texas. The ranking was “based on 32 factors associated with a festive and affordable Christmas, such as traditions, shopping, and costs.” For more information on Austin and other Texas city rankings, visit: (CultureAustin Map)
- Ryan Watts, “a transfer from Ohio State and former Texas State winner of Little Elm”, has become “the 28th member of the Texas Longhorns’ Football 2022 class.” Congratulations to Ryan Watts! Texas Football welcomes him to the family! Read more about him here: (TexasSports.com)
- UT Austin ranked among the top universities in the US and the world in 2021! “The Times Higher Education World University Rankings ranked UT Austin as # 5 among US public universities, No. 17 in the United States and No. 50 in the world. US News & World Report awarded him the rank of Public University No. 10 in the United States and No. 38 among the public and private United States. QS World University Rankings placed it as the 6th public university in the US and # 29 among public and private. ”Congratulations to UT Austin! For more campus highlights, visit: (UT News | The University of Texas at Austin)
- Austin’s restaurant industry has had many ups and downs this year, “Starting with a record number of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations in January leading to the devastating winter storm in February and a convoluted and confusing vaccination rollout. ” Still, good things happened, “from fun openings to celebrations of the local food scene.” On the way to a better year! For the most read Austin Restaurant Stories of 2021, visit: (Austin Eater)
Today’s Austin Daily is presented in part by our friends at Verizon. They are building the fastest 5G network in the country. To learn how 5G will change lives for you and your community – and to have access to this amazing technology – Click here. And thank you Verizon for sponsoring this community resource in Austin!
- “Happy Birthday to Lady Bird Johnson of the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum! Claudia Alta Taylor, better known as Lady Bird Johnson, was born in Karnack, Texas. Learn more about her life and legacy in our new temporary exhibition “Lady Bird: Beyond the Wild Flowers”. Tickets are available now on www.lbjlibrary.org. “(Facebook)
- “We would like to express our gratitude to each of you who made our Spread the Joy campaign very special at The Settlement Home for Children. Thank you for sponsoring our children’s wish lists, donating gift wrapping materials and volunteering to wrap gifts! Happy Holidays!” (Facebook)
- “The Trombone Choir at the Butler School of Music at the University of Texas at Austin ended the semester by spreading holiday cheer across campus!” “ (Facebook)
- “Happy Holidays from Literacy First! We wish our community a safe, happy, and book-filled rest of the season! “(Facebook)
- “The Caritas family of Austin is very grateful to the customers, staff, community partners, volunteers and supporters who made our mission and work possible this year.. I wish everyone happy holidays! “(Facebook)
More from our sponsors – thank you for supporting the local news!
Do you like the Austin Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You are all caught up for today! Meagan Falcon is out for today, but she’ll catch up with you early with another update when she returns! Hope you enjoyed today’s newsletter! Thank you and have a good vacation!
– Gabriela Couvillion
About Me: I am an active mom of two grown sons and a longtime San Antonio resident. I received a BA in Spanish from the University of Texas at San Antonio, and in my spare time I immerse myself in creative writing. Thanks for reading Patch, and don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any news and events that may be of interest to our readers!