The Bay Area Book Festival is finally back in person, with 70 indoor programs and 30 programs on outdoor stages in addition to activating more outdoor spaces in new and creative ways. Meet some of today’s most insightful and spellbinding authors and thinkers and celebrate bringing our inner lives into conversation with the outer world.
– Mega author Kim Stanley Robinson on the wonders of the High Sierras, one of the most spectacular natural places on earth…plus other wilderness-focused conversations with Obi Kaufmann, Greg Sarris, Suzanne Roberts, etc
– Renowned novelists: Booker Prize winner Douglas Stuart and finalists Karen Joy Fowler and Nadifa Mohamed; National Book Award finalist Susan Straight, Man Booker International Prize winner Jokha Alharthi, and many more
– Revolution and community spirit: Rebecca Solnit on George Orwell; David and Margaret Talbot and Judy Gumbo on activist dynamos; Sam Quinones on the methamphetamine and fentanyl crisis in the United States; Majora Carter, Mitchell Schwarzer and more on progressive urbanism in Oakland
– Poets of Heart and Mind: National Book Award finalist Douglas Kearney, Victoria Chang, and more
– A special Mother’s Day title: Frances Moore Lappé (“Diet for a Small Planet”) and her daughter Anna; Chloe Cooper Jones and Jazmina Barrera; Collective Book Studio writer moms, and more
– Romance and suspense: Jasmine Guillory, Tod Goldberg, Paul Holes, Laurie R. King
To see www.baybookfest.org for the full range. Outside programs are free; indoor programs are chargeable.
May 7 & 8, 2022
11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Note: Program start times vary
Martin Luther King, Jr. Civic Center Park in downtown Berkeley
Check in at the festival box office in Downtown Berkeley BART Plaza for indoor venues.